Website Department of Environment and Science | Queensland Governmnet
The Queensland Government’s Department of Environment and Science is looking for an experienced Climate Data Scientist to join the Climate Projections and Services team. This team within the Climate, Coastal, Air and Emissions Branch undertakes science and research activities involving climate modelling, climate data processing and analysis, and translation of downscaled climate projections into relevant services for Queensland. The team collaborates with other Government departments, interjurisdictional & Commonwealth agencies, universities & science organisations responsible for climate change science and projections, policy and programs.
The Climate Projections and Services Team undertakes high-resolution climate modelling to support climate adaptation and preparedness for natural disasters across Queensland’s regions. The team implements cutting-edge climate data analytics to turn climate data into relevant services for Queenslanders.
This is a new role and will be an excellent opportunity to bring your highly regarded and extensive data science and analysis skills to: manage large climate datasets in a high performance computing environment (e.g. downscaled climate projections), advise on, and apply the most suitable data science to solve problems; and provide high quality statistical, data analyses, and visualization support for climate science and research to deliver services and projects that support government priorities.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
• leading and coordinating the provision of data science expertise to support the Climate Projections and Services team to process, analyse and manage climate modelling output and observational data; and develop and deliver new product capabilities.
• implementing data governance processes for the team to ensure that the data is highly accessible and well managed.
• leading, coordinating and reviewing the documentation of climate analytical routines as well as the writing of scientific papers and technical reports underpinning the climate program and disclosing its outcomes.
• communicating key findings (including limitations) of data analyses to Senior and Executive Officers across Queensland Government agencies to support decision making, and to other technical and non-technical.
• actively leading and mentoring a small team of scientists.
• maintaining technical knowledge, competence and excellence in the data science field.
• fostering a workplace culture that supports and promotes the interests of First Nations people and actively engage through our work to contribute to better outcomes for First Nations.
Located in Dutton Park, you will work in a contemporary building, with state-of-the-art facilities, which is easily accessible by both bus and rail.
You’ll be part of dynamic and creative work environment, supporting creative thinking and respect of team members to deliver on group tasks. At DES, we encourage one another to share our experience so we can all learn, improve and innovate.
Some of the requirements of the position are:
• demonstrated extensive knowledge and technical expertise on handling climate data programmatically (e.g., using Python and/or R)
• lateral and innovative thinking
• ability to communicate complex science to a range of audiences
• demonstrated ability to operate in a team environment
• demonstrated ability to lead and support a small team of scientists, and to manage and deliver projects and climate services.
and we’ll assess your merit for this role by looking at what you’ve done previously – the knowledge, skills and experience you’ve built, your potential for development, and your personal qualities.
To be appointed candidates must have a university degree (undergraduate or postgraduate) from a recognised tertiary institution in one of the following disciplines: data science, climate science, geospatial science, environmental science, mathematics or agreed equivalent. Please contact Ralph Trancoso on 07 3170 5713 or email email@example.com
You must provide evidence that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
To be appointed to a position, you must be an Australian citizen, have permanent residency status or a visa permitting you to work in Australia.
To find out more about this role and how to apply visit https://smartjobs.qld.gov.au/jobs/QLD-451292-22
Job Ad Reference: QLD/451292/22
Closing Date: Thursday, 24 November 2022
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.