The AMOS Special Interest Group on History are interested in researching aspects of Australian meteorological and oceanographic history, including AMOS history, and publicising this information to AMOS members and to the wider community.
Some areas in of interest include:
- Oral history
- Recording the story of the rapid advances in the science and technology supporting meteorology and oceanography in Australia
- Reports on major weather or marine events and their impact on Australian society
- Involvement in citizen science projects to enhance the climate record in our region.
We do outreach via:
- Using social media to post items of general interest
- Publishing articles and organising lectures or seminars
- Forging links with other organisations with similar interests.
Our group operates very openly and depends on the particular interests and enthusiasms of individual members. We welcome any AMOS member, interested in historical aspects of meteorology, oceanography or related subjects, to join us. You don’t need to be a meteorological or oceanographic professional as AMOS has an “enthusiast member” category. Anyone who loves weather and history is welcome to join AMOS and be part of this History Special Interest Group.
Interest from historical groups from outside of AMOS is also welcomed.
Terry Hart (Chair)
Mary Voice (Secretary)
Or through AMOS: email@example.com
Indigenous Weather and Climate Knowledge
Chairs: Mandy Hopkins and Djarra Delaney