Annual awards for the best student oral presentation and best student poster presentation at the AMOS National Conference
Many AMOS Fellows have mentored graduate students who have gone on to become the next generation of Australian scientists. These awards acknowledge the contributions of recently deceased AMOS Fellows by awarding a prize for each of the best student oral presentation and the best student poster presentation at the annual AMOS National Conference.
The AMOS Fellows Memorial Awards are presented each year at the annual AMOS Conference at a ceremony that also remembers Fellows who have passed away during the year.
Each award comprises $500 cash.
All students presenting their research at the AMOS Conference are eligible for this award.
The selection process may vary from year to year. Recently, convenors of the AMOS conference sessions participate in the selection process; in past years the Conference Organising Committee has selected with winning presentations.
Student presentations are judged according to whether:
- the science was presented clearly, concisely and in a logical order,
- the science was explained accurately with due consideration of limitations and context (including answers to questions),
- the science presented was significant and relevant for the AMOS community,
- the presentation was engaging and interesting, and
- the presentation used appropriate and clear graphics.
Equal weight is given to each of the selection criteria.