Annual election of AMOS member(s) who have made major contributions to the AMOS disciplines over a number of years
The status of Fellow is available to an existing member who has approved professional qualifications in meteorology, oceanography or related subjects and has made major contributions to the AMOS disciplines over a number of years. Fellows are appointed following a multi-stage election process involving the AMOS Awards Committee and the existing AMOS Fellows. A maximum of three Fellows will be elected each year. See list of AMOS Fellows
Nominees must satisfy the following criteria:
- Postgraduate training (diploma, masters, doctorate) in a field related to one or more of the sciences represented by AMOS
- At least ten years post-tertiary experience practising, applying and/or teaching one or more of the sciences represented by AMOS
- Continuous membership of the Society for a minimum of the past five years
- Contributed substantially to the AMOS disciplines
Nominations require a proposer and seconder, both members of AMOS. The nomination package must include:
- Completed nomination form (click here to download the nomination form)
- A separate nomination, not exceeding 3 pages, describing the case for election of the nominee as a Fellow
- Two letters of support, one from an AMOS member to whom the nominee is well known and one by a peer (preferably from outside the nominee’s section, department or division of their organization) who is also an AMOS member. Letters of support may be photocopies and should not exceed one and a half pages.
Following the lodging of a nomination, the nominee’s consent will be obtained before the nomination is considered.
Nominations must be submitted by 1 November for election in the following year. Unsuccessful nominations remain active a second year (and may be updated by the nominator if desired). PLEASE NOTE NOMINATIONS FOR 2022 – deadline will be extended to 15 November 2021.