AMOS publishes formal information and position statements that are developed, reviewed and ultimately approved by the membership over a period of many months, as well as less formal Council endorsed policy statements that can be produced in a faster and more timely manner. The details of all current AMOS statements are as follows:
- Position Statement on International Cooperation and Data Sharing in Meteorology and Oceanography [Adopted 26 July 2019]
- Council endorsed policy statement on the IPCC Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5°C – Supplementary to the Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society (CMOS) Statement on the IPCC Special Report on Global Warming of 1.5°C [Adopted 26 July 2019]
- Information statement on sea-level change [adopted 1 October 2018]
- Information statement on weather analysis and prediction in Australia [adopted 1 August 2017]
- Information statement on Coral Bleaching [published 27 September, 2016]
- Council endorsed policy statement on why observations of atmospheric and oceanic composition are important [published 9 May, 2016]
- Council endorsed policy statement on possible changes to national atmospheric and oceanographic research [published 17 February, 2016]
- Information statement on climate change [adopted 2 February, 2016]
While the Expert Groups within AMOS do a fantastic job in developing position and information statements that are highly specific to the needs and interests of Australia, there are always more topics that could be covered. Recognising that the larger international Societies in the weather, climate and ocean sciences have a greater capacity to produce statements (albeit not specifically focused on Australia).
AMOS Endorsed American Meteorological Society Statements
AMOS included an item in its Memorandum of Understanding with the American Meteorological Society (AMS) which allows it to formally endorse and share AMS statements of its choosing. Below is the current list of formally endorsed AMS statements, which can be found at the AMS statements webpage.
- Weather, water and climate priorities [endorsed 8 July, 2016]